Tuesday 15 November 2011

LIFE AFTER DEATH

So what did you make of my story yesterday? Did it suggest life after death, or didn’t you believe that my mother could have been behind the rubber plant’s strange behaviour?  Maybe you have some other explanation for what happened. 

All I know is that if mother wished to draw my attention to her ongoing presence in my life she hit on the perfect method!  How could I not notice leaves wafting uncharacteristically across my line of vision, given that I was a captive audience while 'attached' to the telephone?

It would be typical of mother to think that through while alive – so why not once she had died?

What is death, anyway?  I expect you are already familiar with these words from Henry Scott Holland, former Canon of St Paul’s Cathedral, London:

“Death is nothing at all.  I have only slipped away into the next room.  I am I, and you are you.  Whatever we were to each other, that we still are.  Call me by my old familiar name, speak to me in the easy way which you always used.  Put no difference in your tone, wear no forced air of solemnity or sorrow.  Laugh as we always laughed at the little jokes we enjoyed together.  Let my name be ever the household word that it always was, let it be spoken without effort, without the trace of a shadow on it.  Life means all that it ever meant.  It is the same as it ever was; there is unbroken continuity.  Why should I be out of mind because I am out of sight?  I am waiting for you, for an interval, somewhere very near, just round the corner.  All is well.”

For me, everything he says makes perfect sense. I seem to feel the truth of his words.  Do you feel it too – or do you want to feel and believe, without success as yet?

As well as looking at life after death, it might help to look at life before life.  Where were we, after all, before we were born?  Well, we were conceived of course.  An act of love created us.  But is that act enough?  Is that truly all it took to put us on our path to birth?

Can a man and a woman together, without help, bring a baby into the world?  Maybe they can, or think they can, but did they alone breathe the breath of life into their child?
I can’t answer that question for you.  I can suggest, though, that we question where our souls come from.  Do they come from the same source as our bodies – or from altogether another dimension?

I have some thoughts on this that I really look forward to sharing with you a little into the future.  They can wait for the right time, which I’m sure we’ll jointly recognise!

Let’s revert back to Henry Scott Holland’s thought that ‘death is nothing at all’.  My mother effectively demonstrated that for me.  She was still there, same as ever, except without her body.

Her essence lived on.  She had not gone anywhere.  My limited sight simply prevented me from seeing her.

A big sigh as I accept this as my truth.  Is it your truth, too?  I’d love to hear from you!  And soon I’ll be sharing another story – relating to my mother again!  Between her death and her funeral she seemed to do her utmost to give me proof of life after death

No comments:

Post a Comment